Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
Improving the health and wellbeing of people living with COPD in Bridgwater, Somerset
About the project
Respiratory disease is a major cause of ill-health and death in Somerset, and there are more cases of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) in Bridgwater than many other areas of England and the county.
Through this community engagement project we want to improve diagnosis, care, and support for people in Bridgwater who have COPD.
We want to:
- Reach and represent people living with chronic respiratory disease (diagnosed and undiagnosed)
- Build and share understanding of their health and care needs
- Improve community support to the reduce health inequalities they experience
- Inspire people to take positive action to live well.
Listening and learning to help local people live well
We are working with local people who have COPD, as well as their families, friends, carers and supporters. We will listen and learn to understand what support is needed to help people with COPD get information, access health and care services, and take action to live well.
We will be asking people to share their views and experiences with us and our volunteer Community Connectors.
We are working with Healthwatch Somerset to deliver this project independently on behalf of Somerset’s Integrated Care System which includes Somerset Council and NHS Somerset.
Join our events in Bridgwater:
- Discussion group: What support helps people with COPD to stay healthy and live well? .
30 Nov 2023, 10am-3pm
- Singing for lung health session
14 Dec 2023, 11.30am-12.30pm
- Drop-in support group for people with COPD
Last Thursday of every month, Jan 2023 – May 2024